Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 5: Can I Do Another One?

I have started Samantha on a new math curriculum for K-5 ( though she is only 4).  Mostly because she was struggling with place value with our regular curriculum, but I didn't want to hold her back from other math concepts she could learn.  Also, she just always wants to do math.  She watches Simon and asks "Mommy, can I do what Simon's doing?"  She finishes a math page in a few quick minutes and always asks to do another one, which my response is always "No, we'll do another one tomorrow."  Today as she was finishing up her math sheet, it dawned on me that I was doing exactly what traditional schools do.  Hold students back to keep to a schedule.  That is the exact opposite of what I want to do.  One of the big reasons I home school is so my kids can move at a pace that is right for them, taking extra time on things they struggle with and advancing quickly through the concepts they easily get.  So today, Samantha did five sheets of math and enjoyed everyone of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment